Friday, January 18, 2013

"Under Contract" by Craig Hansen (Short Story)



Genre:  Horror, Humor

Type of Short Story:  Short Story

Summary:  "Traditional publishing ruined my life!"

Many writers tell tales of the horrors of writing for a traditional book publisher. None are quite like Under Contract.
Under Contract reveals the long-buried tale of Craig Hansen’s secret past as a contract writer working for a traditional print publisher, and everything that led to his long, twenty-year silence before emerging last year as an independent author.

It’s a tale that never needed to be told, probably shouldn’t have been told, yet against all legal advice, common sense, and wisdom, has now been told.

So, did Craig Hansen survive a secret past as a contract writer for a traditional publisher, or is he full of cherry smoothie? Decide for yourself.

Excerpt:

It was a dark and stormy night. Suddenly, a shot rang out! The maid screamed! And...

Err, wrong story.

Sorry, Snoopy.

Anyway, yeah, I was young and stupid, what can I say? This was before the era of Nook. Well before. Like, the eighties, remember?

One day, I was approached by an editor in a dark overcoat.

“Hey, kid,” he whispered in a conspiratorial, Deep Throat-esque voice. “I got something I wanna show ya.”

A naïve teenager, I approached him.

“What’s that?” I asked.

He opened his London Fog trench coat and there it was, revealed at last. Pale white, etched in patterns not familiar to me, yet strangely ... familiar.

“This here’s a traditional publishing contract, kiddo,” he said. “You write three books in the next five years, and I promise you, we’re gonna take care of you ... real good.”

“Gee, mister,” I said, because although I wasn’t alive back then, I somehow seemed to live in the fifties, “that sure sounds like a swell deal. I’ve always wanted to be a writer for a big publishing firm in New York.”

“Don’t sweat it, kid,” the editor said, eyes scanning the streets warily. “Of all the firms in the Big Apple, this one’s the firmest. Sign here.”

So I did.

And thus began the most harrowing experience of my life.


Buy this story on Amazon and check out the site!

1 comment:

  1. Nice story! Actually after reading your story, I wonder if you would be interested to uploading it to ReadWave.com? At ReadWave, you can build up an audience around your story by starting small writing short stories now and allowing your readers to download and share with others. If you are aiming to be an author, novelist or writer, this is a great way to start to market your stories online. You’ll enjoy it and may even get some inspiration! So please check out the site: http://readwave.com or reply back to me!

    ReplyDelete