Wednesday, January 18, 2012

"The Last Medal Winner: Four Science Fiction War Stories" by Robert Collins (Short Stories)


Genre:  Science Fiction

Type of Short Story:  Short Story Collection

Summary:  In this short collection are four science fiction stories about war, from an effort to get a hero his due to the use of a new technology to keep a planet free. All four stories have been previously published.

Excerpt:
Dear Mr. President:

Greetings from John Nance Garner, your predecessor in this high office. I am writing this letter to you on my last full day as President of the United States. I am also writing a few other letters, but as this is the one you’re reading, I doubt if you’ll ever see them. Keep your mind on what this letter says, and you shall weather the coming storm.

“How do you know a ‘storm’ is coming?” you ask. Simple: this moment has been prepared for, by myself and my special advisors. They used their expertise and experience, came up with several options, then developed the appropriate solutions. This letter contains the answers to the particular crisis you are finding yourself embroiled in.

I wonder, am I still alive as you are reading this? I know it's doubtful. Maybe you are a junior congressman as I write this. Maybe you’re in high school. Maybe you haven’t been born. Strange, isn’t it? I hope and pray you shall never have to go through this.

Now, to the issue at hand. As you are reading this letter, I can surmise that Germany and Japan are on the brink of war. They are nearly evenly matched, either economically, militarily, or both. All efforts to find a diplomatic solution have failed, and it is only a matter of time before the tanks roll and planes take to the skies.

Buy this collection on Amazon or Smashwords.

No comments:

Post a Comment